This training helps staff who may be supporting someone who is participating in the full course or staff who are delivering elements of Sexual Health as part of their care programme.
- To recognise the need for Sex and Relationships support in Learning Disabilities.
- Understand what the main concepts are within Sex and relationship education.
- To know your role when supporting adults with Learning Disabilities.
- Explore our own values and attitudes, looking at how these may affect practice.
- Discuss some of the resources available when supporting adults with Learning Disabilities.
- To know the key documents and how they impact and are used.
- Understand the law with regard to capacity and consent.
The course is interactive and is delivered partly workshop style and partly theoretical. There are multiple opportunities for group discussions.
Staff working within Learning Disability settings often come across situations that can take them out of their comfort zone. Mazlow (1987) explains the needs that all people have and that they need to be succeeded in order of priority to achieve selfactualisation. Some of the core needs we have are safety, relationships and sexual intimacy. If someones social functioning is inhibited they may attempt to achieve these needs in a way that puts themselves or others at risk.
With todays climate of Safeguarding it can be hard to understand how much you are able to help someone to achieve some of these needs or facilitate their access to resources and support to achieve these. It is also difficult to understand how far you can discuss topics without it being misunderstood and often staff avoid topics due to fear of Safeguarding concerns or saying something wrong.
The course supporting staff helps reduce these concerns, we provide a days training with plenty of opportunity for discussion.
The course is provided for support staff of participants on the full package in order to facilitate a flow of learning from the classroom to the home. It can also be purchased individually for staff who are supporting people who are not eligible for the full package. It can be adapted for Nurses, parents or other professionals.